Wednesday 13 September 2017

Obedience

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me. (Luke 9:23)

I hope my last post did not paint obedience to God’s voice as a holiday, because it isn’t.  Hearing God’s voice clearly and following (obeying) it is among the most difficult things in this world. Otherwise it could have been the fortress for the spineless.

Obeying God is difficult. In fact were it not for the enabling presence of the Holy Spirit, it could have been impossible. We simply have no capacity to obey what God requires of us.

But disobedience (even if it is walking in ignorance) is way more costly, though it freely flows with the whims and wants of the world as it goes more effortlessly when we agree with the systems of the world. And the world is more than comfortable with us when we are agreed with it.

Let me give a small testimony of my struggle with that voice. Maybe you can learn from it.

I was working in Nairobi when I felt in my spirit that God wanted me to ask for a transfer to a place I had only seen on the maps, Marsabit.

Apart from being far, I knew there were no good roads leading there. It was also in the middle of the desert probably with no amenities and communication.

I asked for the transfer in obedience.

It was when I was going to report that I realized that there was no transport. People simply travelled on trucks as luggage, because that is what they were transporting. But it was even worse because you had to really plead with them to fleece you so that you can get room in those overloaded trucks. And of course due to the terrain there was an abundance of robbers (called shifta) who stole anything. Due to the bad roads they had a field day. I remember people in the truck that refused to take me after my pleading and even offering more money for the trip were robbed even of shoes. And I had moved out of Nairobi with everything, even emptying my account to be able to start afresh in Marsabit. The journey itself took up to one week when it rained and the roads cooperated with the rain.

Not long after I had settled (mark you God had not told me what He had sent me to do) the girl we had agreed about marriage opted out of the relationship.

After one year, during which I had more or less settled on work and ministry, I came back from leave to find my salary stopped. It was a tough assignment as it took six months before it was restored during which time the two bosses behind it were interdicted as I had done nothing wrong. (I have talked about this elsewhere)

After I settle, I am mugged and left for dead. I believe God resurrected me as even the nurses were asking why I was alive from the injury I had suffered. The robber took everything I had. And I had been on my way again from leave.

Then I go back to work and find the new boss was my friend. Only to later realize that he hated my involvement with ministry even though it never interfered with my work. And his harassment was even worse as he made my life very bitter in whichever way he could. We had been friends because then I was not very clear with what God had wanted of me in Marsabit. But at this point He had shown me where He wanted me to minister.

It was at this point that I decided that I had not heard God when I went to Marsabit. God’s will, and obedience to it, could not be as punitive as was my experience.

I asked for a transfer (and the false accusations I had suffered to that point was enough justification to headquarters) and looked for transport for my things.

But I thought it would not be proper if I did not get God into the mix.

I therefore went into a fast and gave God a condition (I was sure He could not fulfil) if He still wanted me in Marsabit, if He had wanted me there in the first place. Then I rested easy as I knew I was counting days before my deliverance.

But who is God? He doubled the answer to my impossible condition.

Of course I now had no reason to doubt that God had specifically sent me to Marsabit. And He had even opened a ministry opportunity in that answer.

I was finally at peace since the first time I got into Marsabit.

Did the persecution stop? It became even more vicious. But I was then sure I was doing what God had brought me to Marsabit to do. I had started seeing the fruits of the ministry God had opened up for me amidst all that opposition.

And God continued to fight for me, and protect me, from wild animals and lethal snakes to schemes at my workplace.

What had changed? I had known I was where God wanted me to be and what He wanted me to be doing. I was able to experience peace through my knowledge and acceptance of God’s will for me. Hardship, instead of breaking me, helped me become better in the ministry God had for me.

It continued that way until He told me that He wanted me to leave employment for ministry

That has helped me even as I charter unexplored waters of ministry even contrary to other ministers’ expectations and experiences as I know that God is able to hold His own irrespective of what the world can throw His way.

Paul could find rest in a storm because he had Christ’s word that he will get to Rome. The awareness did not mean that the storms became weaker or nonexistent. It meant that he was in the hands of the one in whose hands a storm is insignificant as far as His purposes are concerned.

And that is the assurance I am encouraging those who have burnt their fingers following guidance that does not come directly from the throne room of heaven.

Seek to know what exactly God wants of you before complaining that people are snatching your bread from your mouth. You may be suffering all that frustration because you are doing what you think He wants instead of asking Him to tell you to clearly communicate His will.

Then persecution and hardship will be normal tools for your growth in faith and obedience.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. (John 10:27, 28)

No comments:

Post a Comment