Tuesday 3 September 2019

When the Message Transforms the Messenger 2


For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. (Hebrews 4:12)

As I was sharing my last message with a minister friend, he made me remember a young man (many years my senior) who got saved from ‘down there’. Then God transformed him in ways that even the skeptics had no argument about his conversion. Though when he had cleared primary school without knowing to read and write, he was able to read when he got saved. In fact he could read the Kimeru Bible, one that few people even today can read well. Everybody knew that God had done a major thing in this young man. The evidence was indisputable.

God gave him a wife and children. God gave him favor. He became a minister. Everything was going for him.

I don’t know what happened but he backslid.

Everything fell apart from there. He went back to the world and the world responded with a vengeance.

I prayed for years to have some time with him and God granted me. When I asked him what God had done to cause him go back he just blubbered. Incidentally he died not long after our meeting.

My friend also told me of his brother. He was these people who are unashamedly cowardly, one who would rather cry than face a bully, even for my friend who was his younger brother.

Then he also got saved.

He became so bold that he would go preaching alone in the market almost daily.

Again it was evident to all that something had happened and it gave credence to the message he preached. Incidentally this is what sowed the seed of the Gospel in my friend.

Again, this young man lost it and is still wandering to date.

Reminds me of last Sunday after I taught the word. Somebody almost disrupted the rest of the service claiming I had been preaching about them and wanted it addressed immediately.

How do I preach about somebody I barely know?

God’s word is sharp. God’s word addresses some very deep stuff when it is preached aright.

Incidentally this is not the first time I have encountered this as I have preached, especially in places I know nobody. I have been asked who had told me about someone since they were sure I had never met them before I preached in their church. Several times someone has personalized a blog post or book I have written saying that it was their message at a personal level.

That is how God’s word works. It is so sharp that sometimes I have almost felt a slap as I was reading when God was addressing my issues.

That edge is the difference between standing and falling.

Being consistent in the word hurts, sometimes very deeply, as it addresses us. It touches on every part of our lives if we allow it. And that explains why many people look for excuses not to read it.

As it cuts, it also offers healing and transformation.

You will realize that the people who have remained are for the most part those who purposed to remain in the word however deeply it cut through their lives. It made them sober enough to remain steadfast in their faith.

Have you realized that the Christian groupings in school and campus have produced more pastors than churches?  What I mean is that most of the pastors we have are more products of their zeal during their studies than through the church programs.

Do you also realize that a majority of Pentecostal and charismatic pastors come from mainstream churches? And that is whether they are defectors or came for greener pastures and any other reason.

Why?

Mainstream churches may be ‘dry’. But their every event is scriptural though very few know it as such.

Just pick a hymnal and missal (not the Catholic one, I have never read it).

Do you realize that they are packed with scripture?

Like I said the other day, missionaries of yore translated hymns before translating the Bible. And since those hymns are scriptural, the new converts would receive enough dose of proper doctrine even before knowing how to read. I can say this with confidence because I have been in many unreached communities with a missionary presence. And I have such a background.

When the Pentecostal movement rejected the hymns and order of service (what I have earlier called missal), they for the most part rejected doctrinal instruction, thus choosing spiritual illiteracy.

Is it any wonder then that what they produce as Gospel music has no semblance to scripture? Do you realize that past songs from those ‘dry’ churches were simply scripture? They took scripture and added instruments and choral arrangement to make songs. Contrast that to the trash being called Gospel today! Someone gets a track as they do not even know to play an instrument and then look for exciting words to fit in.

Sadly, I am talking about the bulk of what is called Gospel music as good and wholesome music is the very rare exception. Remember I was a composer and musician too until God changed orders.

And it is not much different in preachers as they also do not spend much time in the scriptures, picking a verse here or there and making a sermon out of it.

That is why sin is a common feature in these ministers. That explains pride and entitlement thrive with them. That explains the arrogance when they ‘make’ it, whatever that means.

The Bible aligns someone with God by transferring what is of God to them.

Or have you ever heard a proud or arrogant person called godly?

God’s word aligns God’s people to Him in all ways; from resisting temptation to relating with the weak and vulnerable.

Can you be aligned through a Bible you barely read? Can you be aligned through a Bible you only browse to look for or avoid arguments? Can you be aligned by a Bible you only read to get your sermons?

How aligned are you to God? How much of His word has become part of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment