We love testimonies of eleventh-hour interventions.
Help arrives
just in time
Intervention
happens at the nick of time.
But do you
realise that God is not constrained to the eleventh hour?
Do you realise
that He can get glory even beyond the eleventh hour?
And the Bible is
full of such.
Shadrach and his
friends were not rescued just before they were thrown into the fire. Daniel’s
intervention did not arrive just as he was about to be thrown into the den of
lions. Joseph was not rescued before misfortunes happened.
This means that
eleventh hour interventions, though far more comfortable and safer for us, are
many times the exception instead of the rule.
Allow me to get
to my testimony.
I had been
invited to Nairobi to start a ministry after waiting for God’s clear order for
about four years after leaving employment, again on His orders.
Ministry thrived
and started bearing fruit.
But the big guys
in the structure developed other ideas; they wanted me to be their poster boy.
They wanted me to be their PR item. They wanted me to run their errands.
I confronted
them, of course respectfully.
The reason you
called me is because you were clear that God has called me into ministry. Do
you think I should start listening and following you just because you are the
ones holding the purse strings? Should I stop listening to Him because you are
my superiors?
They tried to
push their weight around.
Incidentally I
was doing exactly what they had called me to be doing and so they couldn’t say
that I was ineffective.
To cut the long
story short, I became a problem to those ministry bosses.
Mark you, these
were long term friends, people I highly respected.
They therefore
kicked me out and even killed the ministry to erase my involvement in it.
Here I was in the
city, without friends or means of support.
And of course,
very hurt by the open betrayal of people I had spiritually held in high esteem.
But then I
prayed and God spoke.
He told me that
He was the One who had wanted me in Nairobi and that they were the tool God
used.
I had of course
wanted to go back home because there I had a house and a piece of land but God
again spoke.
He wanted me in
Nairobi and He will take care of me.
Of course that
settled it. Or did it?
Here I am with a
growing family and no friends or supporters staying in Nairobi that was
difficult to stay in ten years earlier as a single person with a salary.
But I chose
obedience. But I told God that I would not be raising support from the
experiences of friends I had seen struggle through that.
So, here I was
in Nairobi without any support.
The first thing
I did was to move from a house run by estate agents.
Again, because
of a retired neighbour who probably died from the harassment caused by them.
Any slight delay
and they would come and confiscate all his things then return them when the
rent is paid after including may other charges like that confiscation and
transport.
I moved from the
estate I was and the first place I got was small for my family. And in my spirit,
I felt that the move was very temporal.
We therefore
continued praying for the right house.
One time, my
son, who was seven then, prayed and his prayer was a description of a house.
As I was walking
around the neighbourhood looking for vacant houses, I found the exact house my
son had been praying about, every detail.
The landlord was
an old man who was very agreeable because he even allowed us to move in at the
middle of the month yet start paying rent the next month.
I had of course
told him that I was a minister and that my rent would not be predictable.
Not long after
that, rent did not come. One month. Two months.
I think that alarmed
him because I had not been there even three months. I therefore did not have
any argument since there was no evidence of the provision I ‘claimed’.
He therefore
gave me a deadline (a 15th) to pay rent or he throws me out.
He was not even
opposed to my moving out without paying that rent as he seemed intent on having
his house back.
A friend I had
discipled offered to help.
He would look
for a smaller house and pay rent. Then he would take a friend’s handcart that
he would pay much later and help us move.
But God had said
He would take care of us and so I refused that help.
If God could get
any glory by letting us be thrown to the streets, who was I to resist?
And so we
waited.
Another thing
worth noting is that my cell phone had a weak battery (those days there was
nowhere to buy batteries) and so it had to be on power to function.
This means I did
not have it during the day.
I arrived home
on 14th evening and find a message from a friend.
Please pass by
my office. And in case you do not find me, ask for so and so.
That offered
hope. But hope that was almost too late because the mzee had told me that come
15th, there would be no talking.
On 15th, I woke
up very early.
I thought to
rush to see my friend and if it is the miracle I needed, I rush back.
As I was
praying, God told me
What are you
running away from?
I remembered I
had allowed God to get the glory from by being thrown out to the streets and
decided to wait for him to do his worst.
But he didn’t
come.
At 10.30, I
decided to leave and told my wife to tell him that I left after he didn’t come.
I was given an
envelope (my friend was not around)
I went to the
church (that was nearby) and gave thanks before even opening it.
In it was the
full rent plus food money (of course I have not told you that even food was a
challenge).
I then went back
home.
The mzee had
still not come.
I therefore told
my wife and son to take the rent and tell him that we had waited but he had not
come.
Today is the
14th, is what he said. Mark you he was an educated fellow.
He then went to
look at his calendar and was shocked that it was actually the 15th.
So what was I
actually running away from since God had actually sorted out the calendar?
There are many
testimonies that happened in that house; from reduction of rent, twice, to
being fed better than his children even with rent arrears.
And our
departure was as dramatic when the season ended.
No comments:
Post a Comment