Wednesday 4 February 2015

Free, the Small Print

It is interesting how easy we fall for free things, many times ignoring the glaring implications inherent in them.

We are human beings, delighting in being respected for hard work yet desiring free offers that may give a short cut into our destiny.

Yet do you know that free is not really free? Apart from God, any free offer is dependent on many hidden factors. And even with God the only difference is that He has no small print accompanying His offers. The Bible is His source of His conditions for His free offers and is therefore not a means to deceive us into making foolhardy and inconsiderate decisions as we accept His free offers.

The first point I will make is that free is not actually free. It is free because someone has paid for it. You ignore that part and you are in deception. This because free might be a trap meant to get you into indebtedness.

Why am I talking about the small print? Those in business understand very well what it means. When two people or entities are documenting a partnership or transaction there are some clauses that are mainly the domain of lawyers, many times being disclaimers of one type or another. And they normally are outside the main contract, being placed as a paragraph or two in very small letters. Yet they are not as small as their size indicates. They are the main part of the covenant as they give the conditions under which it can be voided.

You might buy an item with a two year warranty, yet in the small print indicate that the warranty is dependent on stable power supply that you may have no control over. Any breakage or fault can conveniently be explained in power terms, making it easy for them to argue away the warranty. Or a car could have a long warranty yet in the small print specify who ought to touch it. Should the car break down far from that garage or mechanic, the only option would be to have it repaired, thus voiding the warranty that you were not aware of as it was in the small print.

Insurance is the one that is known for small print. I know people who waited for years before being paid when their car was written off after an accident. Some are never paid because of terms that were in that small print.

Another thing I must mention about free is that it never ends in the receiving. The giver has a further intention of how far or what that free offer should accomplish. A parent gives his children the best gifts in life, then the best education but will be distraught if that child became a useless drunkard or sex maniac. That is when you hear of people say that a child accelerated the death of his parents by his lifestyle. Though the parent was not loaning the child all those goodies, he had an end in mind when he was offering them. And it is the same with God. Remember this

For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? (Hebrews 10:26 - 29)

Does this nullify the fact that salvation is free? Of course not.

Yet I will not continue about God and His free offers as, like I have said earlier, God has documented His SMALL PRINT in His word, the Bible, with the expectation, nay command that anybody interested in Him and His free offers spend enough time digesting His word. Joshua 1: 8; Deuteronomy 6: 5 – 9; Ezra 7: 10; 2 Timothy 2: 15 are some of the scriptures giving that admonition. This in effect means that God has no small print in His free offers as all it requires is spending enough time in His word.

And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it. If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine. (Luke 4: 6, 7)

Do you know that the enemy has enough free offers to last several lifetimes? Do you know that he is the master of the small print? Are you aware that he many times wants you to taste before you even realize that it is from him? And do you realize that many times his primary aim is to take you as far from God as possible.

Let us start with Eve. The devil just paints in very broad colors the desirability of the forbidden fruit as he shielded the small print of the implications of that act. It is after the act that they get to the small print.

And he has never changed one whit. He may change the appearance of this or the other but the foundation is the same. And in our days he has become the master of faking his gifts to appear as if they are from God. If we are not careful, in other words in tune with the flow of the scriptures, we will be celebrating the enemy’s free offers thinking they are from God. Then he will invoke the small print of his offers as he calls on us to keep our part of the bargain. And it will be very difficult to refute his contribution after having enjoyed his goodies.

Many effective ministers are brought to their knees by their supporters. A person gives and gives, and very generously so; until the minister develops an attachment to that loyalist. They are then taken places where only sin (most likely adultery) must result. Yet the minister was unaware of the net being drawn around him as he was blinded by the loyalty and support that was generously and selflessly offered him. I was told of this one who was asked to accompany the very supportive woman as she needed serious prayers. When they got into the house the woman stripped and gave him two options, he either sleeps with her or she screams that he tried to rape her. And as he chose the ‘lesser evil’ he was not aware that the woman had set up cameras in the house t record the whole thing. She then ordered him to stop preaching or she will expose him.

Publicity and fame are two things that I know have been used by the enemy since time immemorial. And the devil is a master of camouflage. The end of the game is his main focus. He then disappears when we have to confront the consequences of our actions. Remember that even at Eden he was nowhere after they sinned?

Having been a musician I have enough experience to handle this delicate subject. Seeing enough musicians losing their spirituality after becoming famous makes me highly suspect that publicity and fame are free offers from the other side. This is because there are very few, and I haven’t seen any, who become more spiritual after attaining fame and popularity. Very few, if any, become more dependable once their spiritual stature grows, many times the exact opposite being the spiritual product of that fame.

And the Bible is the best example to use. Do you know Saul when he was anointed king? He was humble and full of faith. Then of course he became famous or popular depending on your vantage point. Do you know that was the cause of his spiritual degeneration? Each of his sins was directly connected to that single fact.  He usurped the priest’s office to avoid his army scattering. And he saved the fattest animals because his army felt uncomfortable with wasting such fine meat. Eventually his life became so people sensitive that he completely lost his spiritual stature. Remember he still thinks of what his army will think of him after Samuel confronted him?

Contrast this with Moses. Was he popular? I do not think so. How many times did the crowd want to stone him? How many times were they looking for alternative leadership? Yet why do we admire him? He never lost his spiritual connection. The only thing the Israelites could say of him was that he was a man of God. And why was that so? He never sought the popular route. In fact he never even considered it when making decisions, except that single time that led to his disqualification from entering the Promised Land. He was known as a man who never did anything, however obvious it was, before asking what God wanted.

Popularity feeds on itself. When people like my posts so much until I feel indebted to them it becomes very easy to bend my listening to God to satisfy my ‘fans’. I will not write things that could offend them since they are feeding my human craving for affirmation. I could therefore very easily sink like Saul did because I do not want, nay, I fear losing all that acclaim.

I know pastors who have totally lost it after they became highly sought out as preachers, especially if, and many times because that desirability was accompanied by a lot of gifts. I groan when I listen to some sermons because the cross has been eliminated. They are now motivational speakers, only that they use the Bible to get their points. They have forgotten the reason Christ came, even diverted it to mean that Christ died to satisfy our every whim.

Money is another thing that does not always come from God. Yet being the deceiver he many times wants us to initially think it is from God. Again let us look at scripture.

Solomon was promised wealth, and he became rich. But do you realize that he fell because there was some wealth from the other side? Why do I say this?

God had clear directions concerning His people’s dealings with the nations around them. And Solomon breached that. And I am sure he did not seek those partnerships initially. His popularity brought people to him who desired what he had and knew that the only way to access it was through partnership.

But he shall not multiply horses to himself, nor cause the people to return to Egypt, to the end that he should multiply horses: forasmuch as the LORD hath said unto you, Ye shall henceforth return no more that way. Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold. (Deuteronomy 17: 16, 17)

Of course he couldn’t offend all that favor and gifts coming his way. He therefore acceded to the partnership offers being extended to him, all the while neglecting the clear direction of scripture and eventually going directly against it. Was that money from God? You tell me.

Again look at David. Was he rich? Of course he was. But we see him going the unpopular route many times that he baffled his army because he had to have God’s clear direction before he took any action. His wealth was a trust from God and not his personal property. Remember him declaring the same spoil allocation for those who stayed with the supplies as the ones that were at war? And why so? It was not in doubt to Him who had fought the war. Do you also remember him feeding the whole city when the ark was brought to Jerusalem yet he was the king instead of taking a tax for the same? Do you remember that even though Solomon build the temple all the materials, plans and worship arrangement were done by David who knew that he would not build that temple?

The point I am making is that we can very easily confuse goodies from their source and that confusion will have dire implications on our lives, even eternity.

The one who builds you has the right to destroy you if you do not satisfy his demands. And that is the small print I am talking about.

I am sure you may have heard a complaint similar to this. A girl is educated by a man who is not her relative to the highest levels but refuses marriage when the same man wants and goes ahead to complain to the whole world. Or a person is given a job without qualifications yet refuses to compromise or sin when the person who gave the job demands. That is folly to me. It is assuming that there was no small print in those contracts. Why did they not ask to be given the complete contract to understand?

Or the media elevates you and then you refuse to do what they demand. Would they be evil if they destroyed what they built? Or the crowds build you up and you insult them.

A relative was aspiring for a political position and everybody had agreed that he was the one to represent them since he had served them very well in other capacities. In fact he was approached by them for representation. And it was known years before the elections were declared. All the other candidates stood for elections as a matter of course and not with much expectation.

A few days before the elections women had a meeting where his wife was present. I was not told what happened but in the course of the meeting the man’s wife insulted the women and that was the end of the political ambition of him.

You see, the one who has given has the capacity to take away.

God gives in such a way that our relationship with Him is enriched. The world gives so that the same relationship is strained or broken. And this because a rich relationship with God will trash the world and all it offers. And the world will never offer something that will keep our relationship with God solid.

Whatever you do or get has one source or the other. It is either God or the world that is offering. And the sad fact is that the devil is not content with just giving from his resources; he derives the greatest delight from corrupting the genuine gift from God.

Let us say I have a singing talent. In other words any sound or instrument I touch produces musical gold. And as a believer I dedicate that gift from God to His glory. I not only sing but I also help others exploit the singing gift, pointing them all to God.

People will value my contribution to their lives to an extent that they almost idolize me. Any forum I attend changes direction after my arrival. Any decision made must have my input for it to be considered wise even when it is very different from my expertise. They make me a superman of sorts. I gain greater influence than my pastor so that he needs to hear my theological input though I may have no theological training.

Yet that is not the major problem. The real problem occurs if I sin. They are scared to scare me off because I have become irreplaceable. My sin, though it might be very open, will be covered up or glossed over to avoid the confrontation that might cause me to stop their interests. And sin so covered will continue festering like an untreated wound, spreading its gangrene all over the body. But worse is the fact that sin causes a spiritual injury that needs that confrontation to heal. Lack of the confrontation will lead to the spiritual death of the sinner – all because the pastors were scared to chase such a useful person from their service. And it is worse because sin is never comfortable to operate in solitude. It must have adequate company with other sin and sinners. Ever wondered about this verse?

When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah. (Psalm 32: 3, 4)

I am sure that David was not the only person who knew about his serial sins. Yet it took a year or more before Nathan confronted him. And it is probable that all those who knew feared his position than God whose laws he had broken. He was too useful to confront like the musician I have mentioned. Imagine the spiritual torture he underwent t write that!

And that is why I suggest that popularity and fame are free gifts from the other side. The clear fact is that it rarely, if ever leads to righteousness or confronts evil and sin. In my many years as a singer, composer, choir trainer and instrumentalist, the only time I remember being confronted is when I responded to God and went to work with another choir in a different church. I have also been able to work and minister in churches that may not agree with my doctrine because of that gift.

However, since God led me out of that season many years ago and into inconspicuous ministry and especially refused me to take the many pastoral offers that have been extended my way, I have encountered rebuke after rebuke, some that is most comical. I have been rebuked for listening to God and doing exactly what He has ordered because it did not make sense to whoever was rebuking. Yet we are talking about close to twenty years of consistent ministry outside the limelight. I have been rebuked by spiritual toddlers. I have been rebuked by people I have taught the ropes of ministry. I have been rebuked by people I have discipled and mentored for doing things they do not understand. Many will later come to apologize after seeing things differently.

Let me ask you a question. When between now and when I was in music do you expect me to have had a richer experience with God? When ought I to be more connected to His voice? I ask this because none of these rebukes have to do with sin or wickedness but rather with preferences and trends. They will many times rebuke me because in their understanding God cannot order me to do what they do not understand. You see, it is after God led me out of the music ministry that I have grown more and am of course more mature in the things of God. I have greater clarity with the voice of God than then. I am even more stable in my faith than then. Yet it is now that I experience rebuke of this or that nature because I do not have the stature I had as a musician.

And what I am saying about music is not much different from the acquisition of wealth and titles. I have seen pastors look the other way when a rich man sins. I have seen people in the middle of a public scandal getting a church leadership position irrespective of that unresolved scandal. Of course we know of politicians who visit witchcraft dens having holy hands laid on them the only time they attend church prior to the elections.

Can you honestly say that these are from God? Remember Christ said that we shall know them by their fruit. Is that fruit consistent with Christ’s expectation?

It is no wonder that sin thrives in some places. This may be a clear sign that they do not come from God. And of course there is the small print because they do not come from God. Though the gift initially may have been from God, it was later corrupted by the enemy of souls, but with our permission.

You see we love money and will rarely question its source because money from sin does not look any different from the one from holiness. And like most people like to quote money answers everything, conveniently forgetting that all that is on the temporal direction. It is therefore a very sad reality that a rich abominable character is treated with greater respect than a poor saint, even in church.

How do I then know whether what I have is from God or the world? Incidentally my effort qualifies as the world especially if it gains prominence over the grace of God.

I will give only one test though I know there are more. How often do you receive clear, godly, wholesome and scripturally sound rebuke? How many mature believers are not scared to ask you to clarify issues regarding your lifestyle without fearing your displeasure? How many men of God will look you straight in the face and tell you that the decision or action you have taken is wrong though financially or professionally convenient? When was the last time someone warned you that the company you kept was detrimental to your spiritual health? When was the last time a prophet came to you like Nathan went to David without bringing positive prophecy?

Compare yourself with Christ, who, being God and without sin or fault, encountered opposition and confrontation from all directions. Remember He was even rebuked by His most vocal supporter? And He said that we should expect resistance and opposition even as He encountered (John 15: 20). Remember sending His disciples as lambs among wolves (Luke 10: 3)?

Smooth sailing may be the free gift from the adversary who retains the small print to use against us in his time.

No comments:

Post a Comment