Wednesday 12 August 2015

What is wrong?

I visited a church on Sunday and saw something I have never seen before; probably heard it being said, but never seen.

It was a huge church, seating close to a thousand at full capacity.

On entering it was about half full. But I was shocked that less than 5% were men.

Since it was a service combining several churches of a denomination, other churches came, increasing the percentage of men to about 10%.

The singing was so shrill that it was deafening. I had never encountered so much soprano in my life. Though I can understand Kikuyu quite some, I could not understand anything that was being sang because of the high tones in the congregational singing and instrumental and PA sound.

My heart was disturbed. I became restless as I felt that something was not adding up. I then started looking around to understand why my spirit was not at ease.

With the children, the sexes were balanced. It was the same with the teenagers. But there were no adult men. There were a countable number except at the front (elders and pastors) where most were old. And they were also completely outnumbered by women.

Where were the men between twenty and sixty? I wondered. Why are they everywhere else but the church?

Incidentally that is an area the women were very brutal with the crackdown of killer brews recently. I was told they even destroyed the legal ones when the ‘war’ began. Are the brews the only reason the men were nowhere to be found? Could there be another reason for that? Could drinking be just the symptom, a symptom whose disease could be traced to the church?

It reminds me of a post I posted in 2013 titled ‘Genetically Modified Woman’. You can read it on my blog.

Let us talk. Pray and tell me what you think. Borrow heavily from the scriptures. Looking at history is also not forbidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment