Wednesday 16 November 2016

A Faithful God

I was called to Nairobi to set up a ministry in 2001. In a short while, the ministry was doing very well, changing lives through discipleship and all other ministry openings God was providing.

They had prepared some package for me and even documented it.

Unfortunately, my position in the ministry became untenable as the big chaps in the ministry were disappointed that I was following Christ’s orders instead of being their PR or errand boy. Things came to a head when I told them that my obedience to Christ’s orders were not negotiable, however senior the ministry leaders were. Incidentally they confirmed that what I was doing was in agreement with what they had called me to do. But they were not willing for me to continue going in the direction Christ was showing.

Two years later they decided to terminate my ministry involvement. I insisted that at least they give me someone I had discipled to hand over the ministry to, or even someone of their choice and they refused. In the words one of them told me, ‘the ministry can run on its own’.

That closed it. I decided to leave the ministry that had been the joy of my heart, a ministry I had seen transforming lives and lifting others from the dumps, so to speak.

It still pains me to see the death of a ministry I had invested so much into. But I had no choice given the order I was given, especially the words.

I was not given anything for severance. I was just left in the wild.

With a small family in a big city, two children in school, I was left in a very bad place. Over ten years previously I had been working in Nairobi as a single person and things were bad enough. How was I to make of life without any source of sustenance?

The option was simple. Go back home. I had a house and a piece of arable land. And I could revive the workshop I had closed when I was called to start the ministry.

But on praying, God told me that He wanted me in Nairobi. He told me that He is the One who had called me to Nairobi, whoever else He had used. And He also told me that He would take care of me.

Of course it did not make sense. It was illogical. And this because I did not know where my support would come from and even when I had responded to His call to leave employment I had not envisioned looking for support. And He did not even tell me where my support would come from.

To say it was not painful would be a falsehood. When people you have highly esteemed for a long time for their depth of spiritual experience do something like that it is very painful, even bordering on depression. That believers can easily discount their own written commitments is painful, very painful, let alone the immediate reality of needs in my household resulting from that.

I thought of taking all those documents to court to fight for my rights, as I had an abundance of them but God told me not to go that direction. He told me that the fact that He wanted me in Nairobi was sufficient. Who He used and the manner of that call were inconsequential to Him. That closed that.

But I was in pain. My spirit was bleeding from the wounds inflicted by people I had trusted for so long.

Again I thought it impractical to continue in fellowship with them and their cohorts. I therefore sought to move from the fellowship.

God told me not to. What of the hurt? What of my bleeding spirit? I asked.

I will heal you. He told me. How will you know I have healed you if you run away from the scene of your injury?

And he healed me, so completely that people who know what had happened wonder how we can continue to be in fellowship with people who had treated me so.

Since the time I responded to God’s call about 31 years ago, I treat God’s voice as final, however illogical it appears. And there are enough examples I have shared in my writings.

It was initially a very difficult time. From days without food to real threats of eviction by landlords for delayed payment of rent.

But we have seen God in immense ways.

He has raised support for me from the strangest of places. From a landlord reducing rent to another providing food for my family even when I was in rent arrears to people being driven as if on gunpoint to bring me money and other support. God has provided support.

As I look back 13 years I have been walking this journey, I can confidently affirm that God has taken very good care of me and my family as I have continued to serve Him. From open doors that He forbade me to enter to others He opened beyond expectations.

He has supported. He has provided. He has enriched.

People ask me why I give my books away and some refuse to believe it is because of an order from Above because it does not appear to make sense. As if staying in Nairobi made any sense when God issued the order! They wonder how I can pour all that money into a book and not seek to recover the cost. As if I was the one who provided that money!

I have published over a dozen books and many other booklets. I have done probably a bigger number for new authors. And God provides.

I have gone for missions all over Kenya as well as a few other countries. Yet I do not beg or even ask for an offering because God provides. He is the one who speaks to those He wants to support me.

I have been involved in many empowerment drives; from refugees to orphans to persons with disabilities because God has not only provided but also enabled.

I will not even attempt to say everything God has done because it is simply impossible.

All I can say is that there is absolutely nothing in me that would predispose God to accomplish all this, and more, in and through me.

My heart is overflowing with gratitude when I look back on what He has been able to do. I do not have any words to express that gratitude.

That is why with my family we are inviting you to a Thanksgiving Service on 11th December at Soul Saving Gospel Church, Kerwa from 2 to 5 pm.

Join us as we lift His name high for what He has done for us

No comments:

Post a Comment