Tuesday 1 November 2016

A Generation of Half Measures

I want us to look at the pleasure many ministers derive from quoting half promises and issue threats to half commandments to understand why it is completely unbiblical even as it is sometimes comical.

Everybody has heard the Malachi 3: 10 threats to devastation if one does not bring in the tithe to the ‘storehouse’. One is then asked to test God in that.

Have you ever asked what happens to the second part of that verse? Where is the food that is expected to fill the storehouse from those tithes?

Simply speaking, we are fracturing scripture for our own narrow interests. We have no place for God or His word in our preaching, only our bulging tummies from eating all that tithe.

Or Psalm 54: 17. Why do we focus only on what God will do to our enemies without caring to know whether we have any responsibility to God for Him to do that?

Then I want us to look at the Sabbath because I have been bombarded with argument after another on the same.

The argument is that the Romans changed the Sabbath day to suit their purpose and that we will go to hell if we do not reject the same. And I will go with their argument for now.

Do we realize that we are using their months and years? Does rejecting one day sanctify the whole year? Does keeping the day justify me for breaking the month and year?

Do we realize that there is a Biblical year and Biblical months? Why are we so focused on the one day when we are breaking the rest?

I will not leave the grace license advocates. Does the fact that Christ paid for all my sins allow me to live in sin? Does the fact that He died for my sins mean that I can sin all I can since my sins are covered?

Is there responsibility for someone whose sins are covered?

Do we read the Bible enough to know what is expected of us as believers? Do we wait for experts to break down the Bible for us as if God ever promised to instruct us through experts?

Do we know the compete scriptures of those doctrines we hold and pronounce? Are we conversant enough with the Bible to know in which context they are?

WILL WE READ THE BIBLE FOR OURSELVES?

No comments:

Post a Comment