Wednesday 8 May 2019

Shut Up



A friend was giving me an experience with God that I thought can be very instructive for us.

He was in very dire straits and was therefore praying unceasingly, all the time enumerating his challenges and the need for God to get him through them. Aren't we all like that when badly pressed?

He literally heard a voice.

‘Shut up!’

Then God went on to tell him this,

‘I know you. I know everything about you. I know your needs and wants. I know your desires. I do not need you to tell me anything. Will you just listen as I want to speak to you?’

I remembered a verse talking about the sacrifice of fools just because they come to God to talk instead of listening to Him.

Why do we pray? What is the purpose of our praying? What do we achieve by praying?

Think about prayer meetings. How much time is dedicated to hearing from God as opposed to pouring our words to Him? What is the nature of that listening (if it is there at all)?

Could we be spending all our prayer time telling God things instead of listening to Him?

Is God more interested in hearing our voice than in leading us by His voice?

As God’s sheep, we are supposed to listen as opposed to speaking. And I am speaking as someone who has shepherded sheep.

My sheep hear My voice, I know them and they follow Me.

That is Christ the Shepherd speaking.

As opposed to goats, sheep walk close to the shepherd and follow his leading. Goats make a lot of noise and will never listen to anyone.

Will you allow God to shut you up?

No comments:

Post a Comment