Wednesday 1 August 2018

Power of Distractions


And the tale of the bricks, which they did make heretofore, ye shall lay upon them; ye shall not diminish ought thereof: for they be idle; therefore they cry, saying, Let us go and sacrifice to our God. (Exodus 5:8)

I know that many of you are like me.

Or have you ever wondered how the Jews of Jesus time, who had been waiting with longing for centuries failed to recognize Him when He showed up?

Does it surprise you that the scribes had all the scriptures lined up concerning the place of Christ’s birth but that it was Herod who actually went to Bethlehem, even if for the wrong reason?

How could people miss something so momentous?

I thought it was just them. Then it happened to me. And I am still reeling with regret.

When we ministered in Mozambique over six years ago, the cry of the church for discipleship materials was heartrending and I knew I ought to do something.

We had a Bible Study book translated into Portuguese and printed it. Unfortunately, we were only given verbal permission for the same, to date.

I therefore saw the need to prepare a Discipleship material for the mission field, a material that is devoid of copyright protection so that anyone who desires to use it does not have to get into long legal and other routes before making it available in a new language.

That is how Fruit that Lasts book came out. But I can only prepare materials in English and so the book was in English. And it has really ministered since then as I have given out about ten thousand to date. It has gone to churches, learning institutions and many other places, some unorthodox. I even was invited to teach discipleship in a university using the same for two semesters. They have even crossed several borders. And the testimonies continue pouring over its impact.

But my burden was Mozambique and the language Portuguese.

God provided a missionary family from Brazil who translated the book into Portuguese. The first huge barrier had been removed.

I did the layout and made the book ready to print.

And for over four years money has not been forthcoming.

I have prayed and waited. I have raised prayer support from all over for the same.

Finally, God provided resources for the printing of the same the other day.

Of course I was overwhelmed with gratitude as I oversaw the printing.

Then what happens as the printing ends? Things happen that almost blot out the momentous miracle.

I am invited for a book launch far from Nairobi, a book I was involved in its preparation. I have to travel two consecutive nights to be able to minister in church on Sunday. Then, when I should be resting, someone has an emergency of sorts and I must leave early for town. Then I was arrested and sent to prison and the whole story changes. The miracle gets forgotten. (I have written the first episode about my experience, ‘Lessons from Prison’, in last week’s post)

I get fully occupied by the prison experience and all it taught me that I forget the answer to prayers offered for over six years.

How can I forget the answer to something that has occupied my prayer for all these years? How could I forget to announce to all who have been praying for this breakthrough with me? How do I think about prison when I should be bursting with joy and thanksgiving for the long-awaited breakthrough?

How does something so momentous lose its appeal so quickly, just because other things have come up, even drastic ones?

I am not just feeling guilty. I am guilty, very guilty.

I am therefore writing this as my repentance even before I give you the news about the breakthrough properly.

My prayer partners over the years please forgive me. My supporters please forgive me. I feel so bad that this has gone so long before calling for the kind of celebration this breakthrough demands.

I have repented before God.

Please accept my apology. And prepare a thanksgiving package for this breakthrough.

God richly bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment