Thursday 23 August 2018

An interesting observation

We were in Homa Bay town after completing the ministry that had taken me to the village far from town.

We had found out that all the buses were full, some until Sunday.

We therefore booked a minivan, called Box by Kenyans and were waiting for the time it departed as it was already night.

Then a hawker approaches me and speaks in dholuo. I tell him that I do not understand what he was saying. Then he tells me this

Leta pesa nikupee njugu. Bring money I give you peanuts.

I was stunned.

From his language he appeared as if he was ordering me to give him my money; then he would give me roasted groundnuts.

Then I thought. Could it have been that he made a direct translation of his sales pitch?

So we try to understand people beyond the words they speak?


No comments:

Post a Comment